* Open to all who are interested in the fiber arts: weaving, spinning, basket making, knitting, crocheting, quilting, beading, rug hooking, doll making, etc.
* No skill level is necessary— beginners are encouraged to attend and learn.
* Member benefits
Members are welcome to use the looms and equipment in our studio at Oatland Island for minimal cost after completing a rental agreement. Small looms may be rented to take home for use.
The following fiber-related businesses have agreed to offer discounts to our member who show their membership cards:
or in person - 10%
If you are interested in joining us... please complete the attached membership form.
* Day: 1st Saturday (September to June - some changes due to conflicts - see left)
* Time: 10:15am to 1pm (the front gate WILL open at 10am when Oatland opens)
* Place: Oatland Island Wildlife Center, Welcome Center - 2nd floor Studio - please sign in first at front desk (directions on their website - see link above)
* A program or demonstration is held at each meeting and a fiber-related workshop is held once a year.
* Spinners & others fiber artists meet informally weekly on Tuesday afternoons between 1-4pm (see Interest Groups for location)
• Newsletter distributed monthly.
• Dues: $25 per year - students $15/yr
For more information:
President- Mary Bass
Vice President - Joanne Moss
Secretary - Nel Adams
Treasurer - Gerry Klock
Members-at-Large - Bonnie Carter &
Newsletter - Doris Grieder
Past President and Website - Suzy Hokanson
Spinners and OMOers meet at our Oatland fiber studio on the 1st, 3rd, and 5th Tuesday afternoons. Spinners will also be at UnWind the 2nd Tuesday and the Frayed Knot on the 4th Tuesdays.
Sat. Dec 7 - Holiday Party -holiday potluck luncheon and gift exchange.
Bring a dish to share and if you would like,
bring a small handmade item (wrapped) and you
will receive one in return. We will also have a
program on CD weaving led by Carrie
Chapman. Bring some scrap yarn and the other materials will be provided.
Sat. Jan 4 - Rock Day - Your Trash, Our Treasure Exchange
Sat. March 1 - Saori weaving in Japan... with Denise Prince (presentation & some hands on...)
Sat. March - Oatland Sheep to Shawl
Sat. April 5 - members Vicki and Ruth - History of vintage sewing machines ... maintenance of sewing machines
Sat. May 3 - Measure... fabric related activity
Sat. June 7 - Natural Dyeing (Indigo?) - summer challenge
Oatland's Mighty Oak - Fiber Art Installation
The video and narrative on the KickStarter page does a great job explaining our project. Please check it out.
EARLIER 2013-2014 programs...
Sat. Sept 7 Sat. Sept 7 - summary of summer creations... charitable creation project (Gerry)
Sat. Oct. 5 - field trip to Honey Horn Discovery Center on Hilton Head where we will have our 2014 Guild Show... also indigo dyeing.
Sat. Nov 2 - Peruvian Textile Tour by Mary Kelly
Sat. Nov 23- 10am-4pm- Oatland's Harvest Festival
please let us know when you will be there at
Sun. Nov 24- Paula Vester's "Variations on a Draw" workshop sponsored by Bonnie Carter at her studio
contact Bonnie Carter to register
SCHEDULE of MEETINGS and EVENTS
ALL MONTHLY MEETINGS WILL BE AT
OATLAND ISLAND WILDLIFE CENTER
in the WELCOME CENTER
at 10:15am unless announced.
The gate at Oatland does not open until 10am.
Our dear friend Harris Kandel Lentini passed away September 18, 2013. You will be sorely missed, Harris. You were an inspiration to us all!